Places

kohila paberivabrik.jpg
Kohila

This place could be considered as the paper capital of Estonia as paper was produced here for almost 100 years. Today, the paper mill is no longer operational. The abandoned industrial buildings now offer an opportunity to re-discover the historic environment.

Kohila Paper Factory

Founded more than 120 years ago, the paper mill has been the heart of Kohila for a century. The factory produced various papers: three-colour wrapping paper, coloured caramel and album paper, wallpaper paper, several types of printing paper, butter paper, blue and white sugar paper, cigarette paper, coloured thread roll and tea paper, writing paper, booklets, coloured covers, etc.

 

The factory took good care of its employees by building a doctor's office, a telegraph station and a kindergarten. The workers also received a plot of land to maintain gardens and build animal sheds. There was also a laundry room and a laundry shed in community use. In 1910, the factory's new chimney was completed, which became a symbol of Kohila. In the paper factory, many generations were working until the mill was closed in 1999.

kohila pv mv.jpg
Work to be exhibited:

"YEARS OF PAPER" Elena Redaelli / Italia

seffino raudtee sild.jpg
Railway bridge of Kohila Paper Factory

Wonderful views to the embankment on Keila River as well as the beautiful pool of water next to the former manor park open from the bridge. You can observe ducks and mergansers, in winter even kingfishers, and the roaring water of karst during high water.

Work to be exhibited:

"INSECTA & AVES"

Michele Seffino / Austria

Tammiku 
TAKKK ART CENTRE
Tammiku manor

Tammiku manor and its surroundings (in Kose parish). The area is historically multi-layered and exceptional in terms of natural diversity. Wild nature, manor ruins, the Soviet era and modern times meet here. It is a place where the landscape provides various thoughts about the relationship between humans and nature.

tammikum%C3%83%C2%B5is_enne_polengut_edi
tammiku_mõis.jpg

Tammiku manor separated from Tuhala manor in 1600. The main building of the manor was burnt down during the unrest of the1905 Russian Revolution. The owner of the manor rebuilt the manor house and rented out the land as well as the buildings. During the Soviet time the manor was used as living quarters, housing two apartments. The house was left empty in the end on 1950s and fell apart very fast. Only the ruins of the perimeter of the manor remain until today.

In the stone granary there used to be the kitchen of the manor. During the Soviet time the territory was occupied by the forest management district and the granary was used to store the technical equipment of the forest district. There is a well preserved basement in the building. The walls are in danger of collapse.

Work to be exhibited:

"UNDERGROUND BLOOM"

Samuelle Green / United States

Stone fence of Tammiku manor

The stone fence created more than 100 years ago differs from the landscape seldomly. Time has ravaged and nature has embraced it. According to the local folklore, the supervisor of the Tammiku manor was buried on the western side of the fence. Evi who worked during the Soviet era in the Tammiku dairy factory shared the story with us.

Tammiku kiviaed mono.jpg
Work to be exhibited:

"PORTRAIT OF A HUMAN BEING AS A BUG HOTEL" Uku Sepsivart / Estonia